When deciding whether to become an Airbnb host, it is important for you to understand the laws in your city. As a platform and marketplace we do not provide legal advice, but we want to give you some useful links that may help you better understand the applicable laws and regulations in Nashville. This list is not exhaustive, but it should give you a good start in understanding your local regulations. If you have questions, contact the Metro Codes Department, the Metro Finance Department, or other city or state agencies directly, or consult a local lawyer or tax professional.
- Zoning Laws. Nashville’s zoning ordinance regulates the property owner’s use of his or her property. Consult Title 17 of the Metropolitan Code to understand the restrictions in your zoning district. Section 17.16.250(E) of the Metro Code in particular allows short term rental properties as an accessory use in all residential zoning districts.
- Short Term Rental Property Ordinance. Nashville has a special ordinance which regulates short-term rental properties, Ordinance 2014-951. It is important to read, review, and understand this regulation in order to comply with its requirements. In particular, a permit must be obtained from the Metro Codes Department annually.
- Business Registration and Sales Tax. Metro Nashville and the State of Tennessee requires property owners to obtain a business license and to collect other state and local taxes.
- Hotel/Motel Tax. The City of Nashville imposes a hotel/motel tax which must be collected under the terms of the Short Term Rental Properties Ordinance. The state of Tennessee also imposes a sales tax which must be collected.
- Other Rules. It's also important to understand and follow other contracts or rules, such as leases, condo board or co-op rules, HOA rules, or rules established by tenant organizations. Please read your lease agreement and check with your landlord if applicable.
You may include your short-term rental license number on your listing by going to Manage Listing > Calendar and More > Detailed Description. In the “Other Things to Note” field, type in your license number following the acceptable license format for Nashville.
We're committed to working with local officials to help them understand how Airbnb benefits our community. Where needed, we will continue to advocate for changes that will allow regular people to rent out their own homes.
Last updated: April 6, 2015
- Clarksville, TNIkiwa unafikiria kuhusu kuwa Mwenyeji wa Airbnb, hizi ni taarifa za kukusaidia kuelewa sheria za jiji lako
- Mwenyeji wa TukioUtoaji wa Leseni za biashara huko VancouverSheria, kanuni, utoaji wa leseni—hapa kuna taarifa muhimu za kukuwezesha kuanza kujifunza kuhusu kile unachoweza kuhitaji ili kuwa Mwenyeji …
- East Brunswick, NJIkiwa unafikiria kuhusu kuwa Mwenyeji wa Airbnb, hapa kuna taarifa za kukusaidia kuelewa sheria za jiji lako