Cathedral City, CA
When deciding whether to become an Airbnb host, it's important for you to understand the laws in your city. As a platform and marketplace we do not provide legal advice, but we want to provide some useful links that may help you better understand laws and regulations in Cathedral City. This list is not exhaustive, but it should give you a good start in understanding your local laws. We’ll continue to update this information as more becomes available. If you have more questions after reviewing this resource, we recommend visiting Cathedral city’s STVR hosting page, contacting the STVR Compliance Department at 760-770-0332, emailing STVRProgram@cathedralcity.gov or consulting a local lawyer or tax professional.
This application is for new permits, home share and the renewal of all STVR existing permits. While there are a few exceptions, it is important to understand your responsibilities as a Host.
To apply for a Short-Term Rental Permit, follow these steps:
- Visit Cathedral City’s Short-Term Rental Page
- Complete the Short-Term Rental Application
- Complete the Business License Application
In addition to these 2 applications, you must:
- $1,950.00 Permit fee plus $78.00 inspection fee / $525.00 for Home Share plus $78.00 inspection. Total fee due $2028.00 or $603.00 do not include additional fees.
- If within a common interest development, a letter from the association’s governing board stating that the CC&Rs and rules and regulations of the common interest development do not prohibit short term vacation rentals to operate within the development.
- Proof of commercial insurance with $500,000 per occurrence policy limits. As an alternative, a residential rider or addendum.
- Important note: If you host exclusively through Airbnb, you are insured by our Host liability insurance and are not required to share proof of insurance. Airbnb has provided the City one document for all Hosts operating in the City.
- Photograph of the front of the STVR sufficient to allow City officials to visually identify the unit, the minimum size of which will be 4” x 5”.
- Mailing Labels
Send all completed forms to STVRPROGRAM@CATHEDRALCITY.GOV.
Ensure that all required elements are submitted with your application. Incomplete applications will be rejected.
Long term stays (30 consecutive nights or more), hotels and motels are exempt from registering as short-term rentals. If your listing is exempt, you don’t need to register, but you will still need to claim an exemption through Airbnb to keep hosting.
Short-term rental eligibility
Properties located in a HOA that allow the operation of Short-Term Vacation Rentals and located in RR zoning (Resort Residential).
Properties that are operating as an STVR Home Share. This must be your primary residence where you will be onsite during all guest stays.
Renewing your registration
Taxes and fees
Transient occupancy tax
Pursuant to the Cathedral City Municipal Code §3.24.030 a 12% tax is imposed on guest stays of thirty days (29 nights) or less. Visit the City’s Rental Transient Occupancy Tax page regarding the collection of Transient Occupancy tax here.
If you have questions regarding Transient Occupancy Tax, please contact Kevin Reza-Ayala at KReza-Ayala@cathedralcity.gov or 760-770-0353.
Our commitment to your community
We are committed to working with local officials to help them understand how Airbnb benefits our community. Where needed, we will continue to advocate for changes that will allow regular people to rent out their own homes.
- Vitu vya msingi vya AirbnbSheria na Masharti ya Mpango wa Muamana wa Sherehe ya Msimu wa Majira ya Joto wa 2020Sheria na Masharti kuhusu Muamana wa Sherehe ya Msimu wa Joto wa 2020.
- Vitu vya msingi vya AirbnbMasharti ya Programu ya Airbnb ya Kufikia Jamii - IrelandTafadhali tathmini Masharti ya Mpango wetu wa Kufikia Jamii ya Airbnb—Ayalandi.
- Freedom, NH