Join a local Host Club: Want to connect with Hosts in your area to get tips and advice? It’s easy—find your community’s official Host Group on Facebook:
- London Ontario Airbnb Host Community
- Chatham-Kent ON Airbnb Host Community
- Grey County Airbnb Host Community
- Huron County ON Airbnb Host Community
- Hamilton Ontario Airbnb Host Community
- Kingston Ontario Airbnb Host Community
- Lake Erie Ontario Host Community
- Parry Sound-Muskoka Ontario Airbnb Host Community
- Peterborough County Host Community
- Simcoe County Airbnb Host Community
- Thunder Bay Area Airbnb Host Community
- Official Mississauga Airbnb Host Club
- Tri-Cities ON Airbnb Host Community
- Barrie ON Airbnb Host Community
- Algonquin Highlands Airbnb Host Community
- Official Ottawa Ontario Airbnb Host Club
- Toronto Airbnb Host Community
- Niagara Falls CA Airbnb Host Community
When deciding whether to become an Airbnb host, it’s important to understand the laws and regulations that apply in your province, in your town or city, and in your building.
As a platform and marketplace, we do not provide legal advice, but we hope these links are useful in helping you better understand laws and regulations in Ontario and in your municipality. We have not independently verified the links provided, so even when a website or guide is provided by a government agency, you should confirm its accuracy.
This list is not exhaustive, but it should give you a good start in understanding the rules that might apply to your listing in Ontario. If you have questions, contact the appropriate government department or agency directly, or consult a local lawyer or tax professional.
The Ontario Fire Code contains specific requirements for the installation and maintenance of smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms. You can learn about Ontario’s fire safety rules at the Ontario Government’s website. Ontario hosts may also want to consider contacting your local fire service to determine how these and other fire safety regulations may apply to your listing.
In most jurisdictions, money you earn from hosting is income and may be subject to tax. This is an especially complex topic, so you should take time to understand the rules as they apply to you and your particular situation. For more information about tax obligations and filing returns in Ontario, please visit Canada Revenue Agency’s website, which provides details about what taxes may apply in your particular circumstances.
Honest and accurate
All pictures and descriptions you provide should accurately represent the home or space being offered.
We encourage you to provide accurate information about your listing, including any limitations or features promoting the accessibility of your accommodation space, your building, and the surrounding area. Be sure to communicate with your guests about any accessibility requirements they may have. Accessibility may go beyond accommodating people with physical disabilities. The Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 includes a definition of disability that you may find helpful. You can also access more information about Ontario’s accessibility standards at the government’s website.
Your municipality may also have other requirements you need to understand relating to licensing, zoning, noise, safety, and other matters. Contact them directly for more information.
Residential Tenancies Act
Rentals of residential units in Ontario may be subject to the Residential Tenancies Act, 2006. For assistance in understanding how the act applies, seek legal advice or call Ontario’s Landlord and Tenant Board toll-free at 1-888-332-3234. You can also access more information on who is covered by the act.
- MwenyejiUkaribishaji wageni wenye kuwajibika KanadaTunatoa msaada kwa Wenyeji wa Airbnb ili waweze kujifahamisha majukumu ya kukaribisha wageni na kutoa muhtasari wa jumla wa sheria tofauti, …
- Makusanyo na ulipaji wa kodi unaofanywa na Airbnb nchini KanadaHaya ndiyo mambo unayohitaji kujua kuhusu makusanyo ya kodi ya umiliki na utumaji katika eneo lako.
- EdmontonIkiwa unafikiria kuhusu kuwa Mwenyeji wa Airbnb, hapa kuna taarifa za kukusaidia kuelewa sheria za jiji lako